The following is a direct reprint of the Migraineur’s Bill of Rights from the American Headache Society. It contains some great information for anyone who suffers migraines and is seeking headache pain relief. In fact it is good information for anyone with any types of headaches.
The Migraineur’s Bill of Rights
- I have a right to be taken seriously by my physician when I go for treatment of my headaches.
- I have a right to a complete and thorough medical examination, including a medical history and complete neurological evaluation.
- I have a right to appropriate diagnostic testing, including neuro-diagnostics, CT scans and MRI scans, if necessary, when my headache is first evaluated, and when the headache pattern or severity changes.
- I have the right to be referred to a specialist – for example, a neurologist, a headache specialist, or a headache clinic if my headaches do not respond to my primary physician’s treatment, or if my primary physician feels a specialist’s care is needed.
- I have the right to receive specific headache therapy, if needed, instead of non-prescription drugs, narcotics, or combination analgesics that may increase the problem.
- I have the right to ask for a comprehensive, written treatment plan that will tell me exactly how to use my preventive medications and non-drug preventives and, complete instructions on what to do when a headache occurs.
- I have the right to return for additional help whenever my treatment plan seems to be inadequate to control my headache.
- I have the right to be treated courteously and responsibly in emergency room, if a severe headache fails to respond to my usual treatment plan.
- I have the right to expect my insurance company to recognize migraine as a legitimate medical illness as any other illness such as diabetes, arthritis, etc…
- I have the right to expect those around me – family, friends, co-workers, and others who come in contact with me to make an effort to understand my illness and to cooperate with me in my efforts to live a full, rich life.
Filed under: Types of Headaches
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!